Current QIMR Berghofer appointment
- 2018 – current: Group Leader, Cardiac Bioengineering Laboratory
Other current appointments
- 2017 – 2020: NHMRC Career Development Fellow
- 2017 – 2020: National Heart Foundation Future Leaders Fellow
- 2018 – current: Associate Professor, School of Biomedical Sciences, Queensland University of Technology
- 2018 – current: Adjunct Senior Fellow in the Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland
- 2018 – current: Honorary Senior Fellow in the School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Queensland
- 2014 – 2018: Group Leader, Cardiac Regeneration, The University of Queensland, Australia
- 2013 – 2016: NHMRC Early Career Research Fellow
- 2011 – 2012: German Cardiology Society Fellow, Wolfram-Hubertus Zimmermann Lab, University Medical Center Göttingen, Germany
Current Area of Research
Visit the Cardiac Bioengineering Laboratory page for the latest on Dr Hudson’s research.
Human cardiac organoid development
James Hudson’s previous research has led to the development of human cardiac organoids that provide a representation of human heart tissue in a dish. Additionally, this has led to the discovery of biological processes regulating cardiac biology and new therapeutic candidates:
- The complex combinatorial signaling that drives mesodermal and cardiac specification from human pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs).
- Multiple cell populations are essential to create functional heart tissue and non-myocyte population phenotype has a big influence on the tissue properties.
- Mechanical loading (both static and dynamic) is a very important factor and has a big influence on the tissue properties.
- Metabolic conditions strongly influence tissue phenotype and function.
- Identification of 2 therapeutic candidates for heart disease.
- Australian Physiological Society
- American Heart Association
- International Society for Stem Cell Research
- International Society for Heart Research
- 2019: Metcalf Prize for Stem Cell Research
- 2019: Queensland Tall Poppy Award
- 2018: American Heart Association Paul Dudley White Award
- 2017: Centenary Institute Medical Innovation Award
- 2017: National Heart Foundation Queensland Cardiovascular Researcher of the year
- 2017: NHMRC Career Development Fellowship
- 2017: National Heart Foundation Future Leaders Fellowship
- 2016: The National Heart Foundation Paul Korner Innovation Award
- 2014: NHMRC awarded outstanding nominated assessor
- 2013: Best oral presentation Australasian Society for Stem Cell Research
- 2013: NHMRC Early Career Research Fellowship
- 2011: German Cardiology Society Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2007: Student Winner, UniQuest Trailblazer
- 2011 PhD (Biotechnology), The University of Queensland, Australia
- 2006 Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical and Biological), The University of Queensland, Australia