PhD at QIMR Berghofer
To become a PhD student at QIMR Berghofer, you must have a scholarship to pay your tuition fees (international students only) and a living allowance (domestic and international students).
Domestic students are citizens of Australia and New Zealand, or permanent residents of Australia.
Students can apply for scholarships through their chosen university to fund living expenses.
A limited number of QIMR Berghofer PhD Scholarships are available annually.
How to apply
Ensure you qualify to study at QIMR Berghofer.
- Academic qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with Honours Class I (typically involving a substantial research project) or a Research Master’s degree or equivalent; OR
- A coursework Master’s degree with a research component of at least 25 % of an academic year and an overall grade point average equivalent to ≥5.5 on a 7-point.
- If English is not your first language, you will also need to demonstrate proficiency in English. Minimum requirements are e.g. an overall IELTS ( International English Language Testing Service , score of ≥6.5 and score ≥6.0 in every sub-band.
Check the student projects and check if you meet the requirements for the project.
Contact the potential supervisor via email and attach your academic CV.
Individual supervisors will contact you and may invite you to meet them to discuss a potential PhD project.
If the supervisor accepts you as a new PhD student, please contact the Graduate Development Officer.
Submit your full application. All documents should be in English.
Email the following documents as one PDF to email@example.com.
- Completed PhD and MPhil student admission form (DOCX 54.1 KB).
- Curriculum vitae.
- Up to date official academic transcripts.
- Project outline.
- Evidence of award of your scholarship (if applicable).
- Confirmation of your university enrolment (if you are already enrolled).
Note: Many university departments will not approve your application until you have at least provisional approval from QIMR Berghofer, so it is important that you apply to QIMR Berghofer at the same time that you apply to your chosen university.
Enrol at a local university and also apply for PhD scholarships. Do this at same time as Step 5.
Once the completed PhD and MPhil student admission form (DOCX 54.1 KB) and all supporting documents are received, our Graduate Development Coordinator and members of the Higher Degrees Committee (HDC) will consider your application. This may take up to two weeks. If we have not yet received confirmation of your university enrolment, any approval will be subject to you providing this before you start at QIMR Berghofer.
Before you can start your project at QIMR Berghofer you must have:
- received notification that your PhD and MPhil student admission form (DOCX 54.1 KB) has been approved
- provided current proof of your university enrolment – this is essential for insurance purposes because students are not covered by QIMR Berghofer insurance. This document can be a letter from your university or a copy of your unofficial academic transcript however it must display the university logo and must show that you are enrolled in a post-graduate program for the period you will be at QIMR Berghofer. An offer of a university place is not sufficient
- collect your induction documents from Human Resources.
For help with your admission application please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.