2019 ROUND NOW OPEN
QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute is a world leading translational research institute focused on cancer, infectious diseases, mental health and chronic disorders.
Our students are provided with state of the art facilities, world class supervision, mentoring, professional development training, additional financial support (competitively awarded stipend top ups, travel awards), and a network of peers via our Student Society.
There are many exciting new postgraduate research projects on offer.
WHAT IS THE SCHOLARSHIP?
QIMR Berghofer is offering a limited number of PhD scholarships for top International PhD applicants. This scholarship will provide the following:
- A living allowance of approximately $27,596 per year (tax exempt) for a period of three years, with the possibility of extension for six months.
- We will cover the costs of overseas health cover insurance for a single person for the period of your visa.
- If you are an international student, QIMR Berghofer will nominate you for a tuition fee scholarship from their chosen university.
QIMR Berghofer PhD scholarships are highly competitive and the academic standards listed below are the minimum requirements. Successful applicants are likely to have additional research experience, publications and have presented their work at one or more national or international conferences.
You must be able to take up this scholarship by 31 July 2020.
To be eligible for assessment you need to meet the following criteria:
- Academic qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with Honours Class I (typically involving a substantial research project) or a Research Master’s degree or equivalent OR
- A coursework Master’s degree with a research component of at least 25 % of an academic year and an overall grade point average equivalent to ≥5.5 on a 7-point scale.
- If English is not your first language, you will also need to demonstrated proficiency in English. Your test results must be less than 2 years old (test results older than 28/8/2017 will not be accepted). Minimum requirements are:
- IELTS (Academic module) Minimum overall score of 6.5 and score ≥6.0 in every sub-band; OR
- iTOEFL Minimum overall score of 87 and 21 in written, 19 in reading, listening & speaking.
HOW TO APPLY
Ensure you meet the required eligibility criteria.
Check the student projects and confirm that you meet any requirements for the project.
Complete an expression of interest form (EOI). Fill out one EOI per project. You cannot apply for more than three projects.
Please provide these documents as part of your EOI application:
- Your academic transcript for both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees (you must provide the official grading guides);
- Two referee letters; and
- IELTS/TOEFL results (you must provide proof of the minimum requirements before 28/8/2019)
Email your EOI application as a single pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wait for a response to your EOI.
Closing date for submitting a completed EOI application is midnight AEST on 11 August 2019.
The QIMR Berghofer Higher Degrees Committee will review your application and will award a limited number of PhD Scholarships.
As a guide, your application is likely to take approximately four weeks to process after the closing date.
IF YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL
- You will receive a formal written offer of scholarship via email.
- Submit a full admission application to QIMR Berghofer (by invitation only).
- Immediately submit an admission application to your chosen university (if you haven’t done so already).