Senior school teachers can experience medical research first-hand at QIMR Berghofer in our Teacher Professional Development Workshop.
This one-day workshop aims to empower teachers to conduct hands-on genetics and microbiology activities in their classrooms. It is targeted at teachers of Years 7-10 Science and Senior Biology.
Held in our state-of-the-art education laboratory in Herston, Brisbane, the workshop aligns with the Australian Curriculum for Science and the new Queensland Senior Biology Syllabus.
Join fellow science teaching professionals, meet working scientists, and get experience in laboratory techniques that you can use in the classroom. Along the way, you will road-test some relevant literacy tools, critique the relative benefits of different laboratory activities, and a tour of our research facilities.
The workshop costs $60 (per session per teacher, excluding GST) and includes morning tea, a certificate of achievement and all laboratory materials.
Book your place in 2019
We offer two Teacher Professional Development Workshops in 2019:
- Monday 21 October – Genetics and gel electrophoresis, 8.30 am-3.00 pm.
- Friday 29 November – Microbiology and drug discovery, 8.30 am-3.00 pm.
Please note: Each workshop covers the same material. Workshops are limited to 18 participants. Groups of six or more teachers may book additional dates by contacting email@example.com.
Why do professional development with us?
Taking a professional development workshop at QIMR Berghofer will help you to:
- fulfil part of the teacher professional development and renewal requirements outlined in the Queensland (Standard 10) and Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
- innovate and learn new skills (Standard 6)
- engage professionally with colleagues and the broader community (Standard 7).
find out more
To find out more about our workshops for teachers, contact our Education Coordinators.
Dr Liam St Pierre (Mon-Wed) T (07) 3362 0307
Dr Rowena Long (Thu-Fri) T (07) 3362 0453