Senior school teachers can experience medical research first-hand at QIMR Berghofer via our Teacher Professional Development Workshop.
These one-day workshops aim to empower teachers to conduct hands-on genetics and cell biology activities in their classrooms. They are targeted at teachers of Years 7-10 Science and Years 11-12 Biology.
Held in our state-of-the-art education laboratory in Herston, Brisbane, the workshop aligns with the Australian Curriculum for Science and the new Queensland Senior Biology Syllabus.
Join fellow science teaching professionals, meet working scientists and get experience in laboratory techniques that you can use in the classroom. Along the way you will road-test some relevant literacy tools, critique the relative benefits of different laboratory activities, and tour our research facilities.
The workshop costs $60 (per session per teacher, excluding GST) and includes morning tea and lunch, a certificate of achievement and all laboratory materials.
Book your place in 2020
We offer two Teacher Professional Development Workshops in 2020:
- Friday 4 September - Genetics and gel electrophoresis, 8.30 am-3.00 pm.
- Friday 4 December - Cell biology and microscopy, 8.30 am-3.00 pm.
Please note: Workshops are limited to 18 participants. Groups of six or more teachers may book additional dates by contacting email@example.com.
Why do professional development with us?
Taking a professional development workshop at QIMR Berghofer will help you to:
- fulfill part of the teacher professional development and renewal requirements outlined in the Queensland (Standard 10) and Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
- innovate and learn new skills (Standard 6)
- engage professionally with colleagues and the broader community (Standard 7).
find out more
To find out more about our workshops for teachers, contact our Education Coordinators.
Dr Liam St Pierre (Mon-Wed) T (07) 3362 0307
Dr Rowena Long (Thu-Fri) T (07) 3362 0453