QIMR Berghofer runs a free annual high school lecture series where students can hear about the latest medical research discoveries, tour state-of-the-art laboratories and investigate careers in science.
Lectures are held in the auditorium at QIMR Berghofer and are attended by up to 600 senior science students from south-east Queensland and their teachers. As part of the program, students:
- listen to leading scientists talk about their research (presentations run for approximately 15-20 minutes each, with 10 minutes for interactive questions)
- tour a QIMR Berghofer laboratory with a science ambassador
- be able to ask questions about careers in science and medical research.
School students are typically on site from 9.00 am to 12.30 pm. Certificates of participation are available for teachers.
Bookings and DATES
The 2020 High School Lecture Series will be targeted at topics to align with the senior biology curriculum. The dates and topics covered are as follows:
- Lecture Series 1 – 25 June, 2020: Genetics
- Lecture Series 2 – 21 July, 2020: Disease
- Lecture Series 3 – 30 July, 2020: Psychology (New date available)
Lecture Series 3 –
31 July, 2020: Psychology(Bookings closed – at capacity)
If booking numbers exceed capacity, an additional day will be added to each of the lectures to cater for additional schools.
|9:15 am||Director’s welcome address|
|9:30 am||Speaker 1|
|10:00 am||Speaker 2|
|10:30 am||Morning tea (b.y.o.)|
|10:50 am||QIMR Berghofer education program overview|
|11:00 am||Speaker 3|
|11:30 am||Speaker 4|
|12:00 pm||Tour of QIMR Berghofer laboratories|
|12:30 pm||Program concludes|
Find out more
Schools Education Coordinators
Dr Liam St Pierre (Mon-Wed) T (07) 3362 0307
Dr Rowena Long (Thu-Fri) T (07) 3362 0453