Be inspired by the wonder of science
The fascinating World Science Festival Brisbane returns in March and QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute is an official program partner!
This years’ festival themes include the human body and human evolution—areas that QIMR Berghofer has been studying and researching for over seventy years.
Join in the festival fun and learn about scientific discovery in medical research at a number of World Science Festival events including:
- 22 – 24 March Apprentice program – High school students can don a lab coat at QIMR Berghofer’s world-class education lab and learn how to analyse DNA and trace the inheritance of genetic material in a small hands-on workshop. School Years 9 to 12 only. PLACES ARE LIMITED
- 24 – 25 March Street Science! – Come down to the South Bank Cultural Precinct across the weekend to explore dozens of scientific displays designed to delight all ages. Visit QIMR Berghofer’s The Future of Health display to learn about immunology and inspect viruses, bacteria and human cells under QIMR Berghofer’s powerful microscopes. Children can take part in fun craft activities that also teach them about the complex human body. We’re looking forward to seeing you there! FREE
- 2 March, 9am to 3pm – STUDENT DAY – Students will listen to Nigel Waterhouse talk about his COOL JOB as QIMR Berghofer’s Senior Microscopist. They will also enjoy interactive exhibitions and a keynote presentation. FREE
- 3 March – COMMUNITY DAY – 9am to 4pm – Visit QIMR Berghofer’s interactive exhibit and learn about cell biology and microscopy. FREE
- 9 March – STUDENT DAY – Students will enjoy COOL JOBS presentations by Madeleine Kersting Flynn, QIMR Berghofer’s Biomedical Illustrator, and Nigel Waterhouse, QIMR Berghofer’s Senior Microscopist. They will also experience interactive exhibitions. FREE
- 10 March – COMMUNITY DAY – QIMR Berghofer will host an exhibit where you will learn about cell biology and microscopy. FREE
- 16 March, 1pm to 2pm – COOL JOBS – A panel of scientists and QIMR Berghofer’s Biomedical Illustrator, Madeleine Kersting Flynn, will discuss their cool jobs and the career path that led them to their roles. Location: Cobb and Co Museum. FREE
Visit www.worldsciencefestival.com.au for all event information.
World Science Festival Brisbane is presented by the Queensland Museum Network.