Dr Peter Johansson
Phone: +61 7 3362 0323
Dr Johansson has more than 15 years experience writing scientific software, analysing and interpreting biological data. He has extensive experience building statistical models to distil large ‘omics’ data sets and identify variations of interest.
In 2012 he joined the Oncogenomics Group at QIMR Berghofer where he has set up an analysis pipeline for whole-genome and exome sequencing data and developed novel tools for identification of structural variants, DNA copy number aberrations and allelic imbalances.
Professor Nick Hayward
Honorary Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Queensland.
Post-Doctoral Fellow, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, USA.
Current Area of Research
- Cancer Genomics
- Melanoma Genetics
- Computational Biology
QIMR Berghofer Seed Funding Grant (2016-2017)
- Identified a BRAF mutation-associated gene expression profile in melanomas.
- Developed a gene expression profile associated with prognosis in carcinomas.
- Contributed to the identifications of a new DNA topoisomerase inhibitor.
- Contributed to the identification of POT1, ACD and TERF2IP as high penetrance familial melanoma genes.
- Discovered recurrent mutations in the PLCB4 gene in uveal melanoma.
- Australian melanoma genome project.
- Identification of melanoma predisposition genes.
- Development of algorithms and computational tools for cancer genomics.
- Identifying ‘cooperative’ mutations that facilitate KRAS-driven lung carcinogenesis.
- Dr Nic Waddell and John Pearson, QIMR Berghofer.
- Dr James Wilmott, Professor Richard Scolyer, and Professor Graham Mann, Melanoma Institute Australia, Sydney.
- Professor Brian Gabrielli and Associate Professor Richard Sturm, The University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- Dr Elin Gray, Edit Cowan University, Perth.
- Invited Speaker, Applied and Computational Mathematics Division Seminar Series, National Institute of Standards and Technology, USA, (2011)
- Selected Speaker, 11th Center for Cancer Research Fellows and Young Investigators Colloquium, USA (2011)
- Top 2% Highly Rated Poster, American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting (2010)
- Invited Speaker, Friday Seminar Series, Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane (2006)
- Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Theoretical Physics, Lund University, Sweden (2002-2006)
- Master of Science, Department of Theoretical Physics, Lund University, Sweden, (1996-2001)