Dr Martha Zakrzewski
Phone: +61 7 3362 0479
Dr Martha Zakrzewski’s main focus is on investigating microbiome data to understand how microbes impact vector-borne diseases in arthropods (scabies, mosquitoes) and affect health and diseases in mammalian hosts. Her interests are to link microbial community composition and diversity to environmental factors using statistical and machine learning techniques.
Currently, Martha is involved in miscellaneous mammalian microbial studies ranging from understanding microbial changes in the intestine of patients with inflammatory bowel diseases to characterizing the impact of different iron diets on the murine lung microbiome. In arthropods, Martha is investigating the microbiome associated with scabies mites and the impact of Wolbachia infection on the mosquito microbiome.
Current QIMR Berghofer appointment:
- 2012 – present: Research Officer QIMR Berghofer
- 2009 – 2012: PhD student at Centre for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University, Germany
- 2008: Research Scientist at Centre for Biotechnology, Bielefeld, Germany
Current Area of Research
- Analysing the intestinal microbiome in inflammatory bowel diseases and hookworm infection
- Investigating the lung microbiome in lung diseases including COPD, cystic fibrosis
- Studying the impact of scabies mite infection on the human skin microbiome
- Characterizing the mosquito-associated microbiome in vector-borne diseases