Dr Penelope Lind
Senior Research Officer
Dr Penelope Lind is a mid-career researcher with over 15-years’ experience investigating the genetic basis of addiction. Her primary research interest focuses on dissecting the genetic aetiology of substance use (particularly alcohol use and abuse) and addictive behaviours such as disordered gambling. During Penelope’s research career, she has transitioned from being based in a wet-lab towards all work now completed in dry lab. As such, she has expertise both in conducting high-throughput genetic studies and also the analysis of large-scale genetic and phenotypic datasets.
Research laboratories and groups
Psychiatric Genetics, Mental Health
Professor Sarah Medland
Current QIMR Berghofer appointment
- 2016 – current: Senior Research Officer, Psychiatric Genetics, QIMR Berghofer
Other current appointments
- 2019 – current: Adjunct Associate Professor, School of Biomedical Science, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
- 2019 – current: Honorary Associate Professor, School of Biomedical Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- 2013 – 2016: Research Officer, Quantitative Genetics, QIMR Berghofer
- 2005 – 2013: Research Officer, Molecular Epidemiology, QIMR Berghofer
- 2003 – 2005: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 2002 – 2003: Postdoctoral Fellow, Ernest Gallo Clinic and Research Center, University of California at San Francisco
Current Area of Research
- Genetics of substance use and substance use disorders
- Genetics of behavioural addictions
- Psychiatric genetics
Ongoing Research Support
- Examining the impact of changes to diagnostic criteria on Autism Spectrum and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders (NHMRC: APP1084325), 2015-2018, (Chief Investigator F).
- Leveraging record linkage for single-indication medications to boost recruitment in Psychiatric and Pharmaco- Genetics (NHMRC: APP1138514), 2018-2022, (Associate Investigator).
- Genetic determinism; misunderstanding or fundamental attribution error? Implications for our understanding of behavior and personal responsibility (HGA-MEDLAND), 2016-2019, (Co-Principal Investigator).
Completed Research Support
- Investigating the relationship between Depression, Anxiety and Nausea and Vomiting during Pregnancy: Causation or shared liability? (NHMRC: APP1158125), 2019-2020, (Chief Investigator B).
- A comprehensive analysis of the role of the Alcohol Dehydrogenase gene cluster in alcohol-related disorders and esophageal cancer through deep resequencing (NHMRC: APP1060663), 2015-2018, (Chief Investigator A).
- A genome wide association study for alcohol and nicotine addiction susceptibility genes (NHMRC: 552482), 2011-2013, (Chief Investigator B).
- 2018 – current: QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute Work Health and Safety Consultative Forum Member
- 2018 – current: Membership Committee, International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism
- 2014 – current: QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute Postdoctoral Committee Member
- 2016 – current: Secretary, QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute Post-doctoral Committee
- 2016 (June 20): Local host of the International Congress on Twin Studies Satellite Meeting, Brisbane, Australia
- 2016 (June 21-23): Member of the Organising Committee for the Behavioral Genetics Association Meeting, Brisbane, Australia
- 2016 (March 17): Round 1 judge for the American Society of Human Genetics DNA Day Essay Contest (22 essays)
- 2014 – 2015: Member of the Australian Society for Medical Research Queensland Branch Gala Dinner sub-committee (2014-2015).
- 2013 – current: Member of the QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute Post-doctoral Committee (2013-present).
- 2014 – 2015, 2018 – current: American Society of Human Genetics, Associate Member
- 2008 – current: International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism
- 2008 – 2016: Research Society on Alcoholism
- 2014 – 2015: Queensland Committee, Australian Society for Medical Research
- 2013: QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute Travel Award to attend the International Workshop on Statistical Genetic Methods for Human Complex Traits, Institute of Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA
- 2008: Best Oral Presentation Award, XVIth World Congress on Psychiatric Genetics, Osaka, Japan
- 2008: Australian Twin Registry Research Travel Grant to attend the XVIth World Congress on Psychiatric Genetics, Osaka, Japan
- 2007: Queensland Institute of Medical Research Travel Award to attend the 30th Annual Research Society on Alcoholism Scientific Meeting, Chicago, USA
- 2003: Royal Society on Alcoholism Junior Investigator Award (funded by the National Institute on Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse) to attend the 26th Annual Meeting of the Research Society on Alcoholism, Florida, USA
- PhD, University of Waikato (New Zealand) – Project: ‘Comparative Characterization of Esterases and Lipases for Biosensors’
- BSc (Hons, First Class), Victoria university of Wellington (New Zealand) – Project: ‘Development of Ligase Detection Reaction for Genotyping ADH3 and ALDH2 Polymorphisms in Alcoholic Patients and Volunteers’
- BSc, Victoria university of Wellington (New Zealand)