Current QIMR Berghofer appointment
- 2015 – present: Group Leader, Sid Faithfull Brain Cancer Laboratory (QIMR Berghofer).
- 2015 – 2023: Sid Faithfull Fellow.
- 2018 – 2021: Directorship, Children’s Hospital Foundation, Centre for Child and Adolescent Brain Cancer Research.
- 2018 – 2021: Professor Adjunct, School of Biomedical Sciences, QUT.
- 2017 – 2020: Steering Committee, Brain Cancer Biobanking Australia.
- 2018 – 2020: Management Committee, Cooperative Trials Group for Neuro-Oncology (COGNO).
- 2016 – 2019: Senior Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Queensland.
- 2014 – 2015: Director, Australian Society for Medical Research (ASMR).
- 2008 – 2015: Postdoctoral Scientist, Leukaemia Foundation Research Unit (QIMR Berghofer).
- 2004 – 2008: PhD Scholar UQ, Leukaemia Foundation Research Unit (QIMR Berghofer).
Current Area of Research
The Sid Faithfull Brain Cancer Laboratory studies the most common and aggressive forms of both adult brain cancer, Glioblastoma (GBM) and paediatric brain cancer, Medulloblastoma. The focus of our research is on understanding the molecular mechanisms which are responsible for the initiation and recurrence of brain cancers and to develop and test new and effective therapies to treat these aggressive diseases.
- Establishment of a brain cancer tissue and culture bank at QIMR Berghofer. Access Q-Cell here.
- Definition of EphA3 as a novel therapeutic target in adult brain cancer.
- Ongoing clinical assessment of an EphA3 monoclonal antibody (KB004) in recurrent adult brain cancer.
- Identification of salinomycin as brain cancer stem cell targeting therapy and potent radiomimetic.
- Strong research focus on translational therapies for the treatment of high grade glioma.
- Stringer BW*, Day BW*, D’Souza RCJ, Jamieson PR, Ensbey KS, Bruce ZC, Lim YC, Goasdoué K, Offenhauser C, Akgul S, Allan S, Robertson T, Lucas P, Tollesson G, Campbell S, Winter C, Do H, Dobrovic A, Inglis P, Jeffree RL, Johns TG, Boyd AW. A reference collection of patient-derived cell line and xenograft models of proneural, classical and mesenchymal glioblastoma. Scientific Reports. 2019 March 20. 9 (4902). IF = 4.122
- Akgül S, Patch AM, D’Souza RCJ, Mukhopadhyay P, Nones K, Kempe S, Kazakoss SH, Jeffree RL, Stringer BW, Pearson JV, Waddell N, Day BW. Intratumoural Heterogeneity Underlies Distinct Therapy Responses and Treatment Resistance in Glioblastoma. Cancers. Jan 2019; 11, 190. IF 5.326
- Offenhäuser C, Al-Ejeh F, Puttick S, Ensbey KS, Bruce ZC, Jamieson PR, Smith FM, Stringer BW, Carrington B, Fuchs AV, Bell CA, Jeffree R, Rose S, Thurecht KJ, Boyd AW, Day BW. EphA3 Pay-Loaded Antibody Therapeutics for the Treatment of Glioblastoma. Cancers. Dec 2018; 10(12) 519. IF = 5.326
- Lim YC, Quek H, Offenhäuser C, Lavin M, Boyd AW, Roberts T and Day BW. ATM Inhibition Prevents Interleukin-6 from Contributing to the Proliferation of Glioma Initiating Cells after Ionizing Radiation. Journal of Neuro-Oncology. Jan 2018; 138 (3), 509-518. IF 2.98
- Day BW, Stringer BW and Boyd AW. Eph Receptors as Therapeutic Targets in Glioblastoma. British Journal of Cancer. Invited Review 2014 Sep 23;111 (7):1255-61. IF 5.082
- Day BW, Stringer BW, Wilson J, et al. Glioma Surgical Aspirate: A Viable Source of Tumor Tissue for Experimental Research. Cancers. 5(2), 357-371; April 4, 2013 doi:10.3390/cancers5020357
- Day BW, Stringer BW, Al-Ejeh F, et al. EphA3 Maintains Tumourigenicity and is a Therapeutic Target in Glioblastoma Multiforme. Cancer Cell 23, 238–248, February 11, 2013. IF 26.566
- 2014 – 2015: Director – Australian Society for Medical Research (ASMR)
- Member – Cooperative Trials Group for NeuroOncology (COGNO)
- 2018: Invited Speaker (Brain Tumor Center, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, US)
- 2018: Organising Committee (COGNO Meeting Brisbane)
- 2018: Invited Speaker (Eph Congress, Parma Italy)
- 2018: Session Chair (Eph Congress, Parma Italy)
- 2017: Invited Speaker (Children’s Health Queensland Research Symposium, Brisbane)
- 2017: Invited Speaker (COGNO Meeting, Melbourne)
- 2017: Witness (Senate Committee Meeting for Low Survival Rate Cancers, Brisbane)
- 2017: Invited Speaker (Childhood Brain Cancer Symposium, Kids Cancer Alliance Sydney)
- 2017: Invited Institute Seminar (Telethon Kids Institute, Perth, Australia)
- 2016: Invited Institute Seminar (Centre for Cancer Biology, University of South Australia)
- 2016: Chair Translational Science Session (ASNO/COGNO, Sydney)
- 2016: Invited Speaker (LCCH Brisbane, Clinical Oncology Department)
- 2016: Invited Speaker (Cancer Council QLD, Brain Tumour Support Service)
- 2016: Invited Speaker (Institute Seminar Series, QLD Brain Institute, UQ)
- 2015: Conference Organiser (COGNO Meeting, Brisbane)
- 2015: Invited Speaker (ComBio Conference, Melbourne)
- 2015: Invited Speaker (Research Excellence in Cancer Care Symposium, Brisbane)
- 2015: Keynote Speaker (Cure Cancer Australia, Gala Event, Sydney)
- 2015 – Invited Speaker (Cure Cancer Australia Symposium, Sydney)
- 2014: Invited Speaker (Brisbane Cancer Conference)
- 2014: Invited Speaker (Cure Brain Cancer Foundation Scientific Meeting, Sydney)
- 2014: Invited Speaker (World Congress of the Society of Brain Mapping and Therapeutics, Sydney)
- 2013: Invited Speaker (Institute Seminar Series, St Vincent’s Institute, Melbourne)
- 2013: Prize (QIMR Berghofer MRI Annual Institute Awards) – Best Postdoctoral Researcher
- 2013: Invited Speaker (Research Excellence in Cancer Care Symposium, Brisbane)
- 2013: Prize (Cooperative Trials Group for Neuro-Oncology (COGNO) – Best Poster)
- 2013: Invited Speaker (NFi Symposium, QLD Brain Institute, Brisbane)
- 2013: Invited Breakthrough Speaker (Stem Cells and Cancer Conference, Melbourne)
- 2012: Conference Organiser (COGNO Meeting, Brisbane)
- 2011: Invited Speaker (COGNO Meeting, Sydney)
- 2010: Chair Brain Tumour Session (Lorne Cancer Conference, Lorne)
- 2009: Invited Speaker (The 3rd World Federation of Neuro-Oncologist (WFNO) Meeting, Yokohama, Japan)
- 2008: PhD (Medical Science), The University of Queensland
- 2003: B.Sc Hons, The University of Queensland
- 1998: B. App Sc, University of Newcastle