Current QIMR Berghofer appointment
- January 2019 – present: Team Head, Transplantation Immunology
Other current appointments
- February 2018 – present: Honorary Senior Fellow, Royal Brisbane Clinical Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Queensland
- December 2018 – present: Adjunct A/Prof, School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health, Queensland University of Technology
- March 2017 – December 2018: Senior Research Officer, Bone Marrow Transplantation Laboratory
- February 2015 – January 2018: Honorary Fellow, Royal Brisbane Clinical Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Queensland
- May 2008 – February 2017: Research Officer, Bone Marrow Transplantation Laboratory
- February 2005 – April 2008: Post-doctoral Research Scientist, Department of Haematology/Oncology, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, South Australia
- January 2002 – January 2005: Post-doctoral Research Scientist, Wound Healing and Injury Research Centre, University of Adelaide Department of Surgery, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, South Australia
- July 2001 – December 2001: Research Scientist, Vascular Surgery Research Laboratory, University of Adelaide Department of Surgery, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, South Australia
- July 1999 – June 2001: Research Scientist, Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, South Australia
Current Area of Research
- Cytokine regulation of microbiota and the impact on GVHD pathogenesis
- Mechanisms of MAIT cell function during homeostasis and GVHD
- Immunological basis of respiratory syncytial virus infection following stem cell transplantation
We gratefully acknowledge the support of the following funding agencies:
- Cancer Council Queensland (CCQ)
- National Health and Medical Research Council
SELECTED KEY PUBLICATIONS
- Varelias A, Gartlan KH, Wilkinson AN, Olver SD, Samson LD, Tey SK, MacDonald KPA, Hill GR. Expansion of IL-17A-secreting CD8+ mucosa-associated invariant T cells in peripheral blood following stem cell mobilization. Blood Adv. 12;3(5):718-723 (2019).
- Martins JP, Andoniou CE, Fleming P, Kuns RD, Schuster IS, Voigt V, Daly S, Varelias A, Tey SK, Degli-Esposti MA, Hill GR. Strain-specific antibody therapy prevents cytomegalovirus reactivation after transplantation. Science. 363(6424):288-293 (2019).
- Varelias A*, Bunting MD*, Ormerod KL, Koyama M, Olver SD, Straube J, Kuns RD, Robb RJ, Henden AS, Cooper L, Lachner N, Gartlan KH, Lantz O, Kjer-Nielsen L, Mak JYW, Fairlie DP, Clouston AD, McCluskey J, Rossjohn J, Lane SW, Hugenholtz P and Hill GR. Recipient Mucosal-Associated Invariant T Cells control GVHD within the colon. J Clin Invest. 128(5):1919-1936 (2018). *Joint first authors.
- Varelias A, Ormerod KL, Bunting MD, Koyama M, Gartlan KH, Kuns RD, Lachner N, Locke KR, Lim CY, Henden AS, Zhang P, Clouston AD, Hasnain SZ, McGuckin MA, Blazar BR, MacDonald KPA, Hugenholtz P and Hill GR. Acute graft-versus-host disease is regulated by
an IL-17-sensitive microbiome. Blood. 129(15):2172-2185 (2017).
- Varelias A, Gartlan KH, Kreijveld E, Olver SD, Lor M, Kuns RD, Lineburg KE, Teal BE, Raffelt N,
Cheong M, Alexander KA, Koyama M, Markey KA, Sturgeon E, Leach J, Reddy P, Kennedy GA,
Yanik G, Blazar BR, Tey S-K, Clouston AD, MacDonald KPA, Cooke KR and Hill GR. Lung parenchyma–derived IL-6 promotes IL-17A–dependent acute lung injury after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Blood. 125(15):2435-44 (2015).
- Kennedy GA*, Varelias A*, Vuckovic S, Le Texier L, Gartlan KH, Zhang P, Thomas G, Anderson L, Boyle G, Cloonan N, Leach J, Sturgeon E, Avery J, Olver SD, Lor M, Misra AK, Hutchins C, Morton AJ, Durrant STS, Subramoniapillai E, Butler JP, Curley CI, MacDonald KPA, Tey SK and Hill GR. Addition of IL-6 inhibition to standard GVHD prophylaxis after allogeneic stem cell transplantation: a phase I/II trial. Lancet Oncol. 15(13):1451-9 (2014). *Joint first authors.
- Koyama M, Kuns RD, Olver SD, Raffelt NC, Wilson YA, Don AL, Lineburg KE, Cheong M, Robb RJ, Markey KA, Varelias A, Malissen B, Hämmerling GJ, Clouston AD, Engwerda CR, Bhat P, MacDonald KP and Hill GR. Recipient nonhematopoietic antigen-presenting cells are sufficient to induce lethal acute graft-versus-host disease. Nat Med. 18(1):135-42 (2012).
- Professor Philip Hugenholtz, University of Queensland
- Dr Kate Bowerman, University of Queensland
- Professor Mike McGuckin, University of Melbourne
- Dr Sumaira Hasnain, Mater Research Institute-UQ
- Professor Mariapia Degli-Esposti, University of Western Australia
- Dr Andrew Clouston, Envoi Pathology
- The Transplantation Society (TTS)
- Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand (TSANZ)
- The American Association of Immunologists (AAI)
- Australasian Society for Immunology (ASI)
- International Cytokine & Interferon Society (ICIS)
- Society for Mucosal Immunology (SMI)
- 2015: TSANZ International travel award
- 2015: Best Basic Science Poster, 24th RBWH Healthcare Symposium, Brisbane
- 2005: Young Investigator of the Year, Child Health Research Institute, Adelaide
- 1995: Best Oral Presentation, Queen Elizabeth Hospital Scientific Conference, Adelaide
- 1990: Westpac Citizen of the Year, Westpac Bank, Adelaide
- 2002: PhD, Department of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Australia
- 1996: Bachelor of Health Science (Honours), Department of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Australia. Awarded First Class.
- 1995: Bachelor of Applied Science, School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences, University of South Australia, Australia