- 2014: Senior Research Scientist, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester
- 2012: Senior Scientist, QIMR
- 2010: Acting Director, QIMR
- 2009: Professor, Institute of Inflammation and Repair, University of Manchester.
- 2005: Adjunct Professor, Griffith University.
- 2002: Professor, The University of Queensland and Professor, Queensland University of Technology.
- 2000: Head, Cancer and Population Studies Group, QIMR.
- 2000 – 2011: Deputy Director, QIMR.
Current Area of Research
Skin cancer and melanoma causation (utraviolet radiation carcinogenesis), prevention, management and prognosis in the community at large and in the subgroup who have organ transplants and are susceptible to skin cancers.
- Prevention of skin cancer including melanoma by regular use of sunscreen in adults.
- Prevention of skin aging by regular use of sunscreen in adults.
- Possible protective effect of aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use on squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the skin.
- High (96 %) survival rates of melanoma patients in the Queensland population 20 years after diagnosis.
- High tendency of people with history of skin cancer who have been affected with multiple incident skin cancers to develop a particular subtype exclusively (BCC or SCC).
- Decreasing melanoma incidence trends in adolescents and young adults in Queensland, Australia since mid-1990s.
- High frequency of sunburn still seen in Queensland adults, especially young males.
- 2015: Fellow, Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences.
- 2014: ‘Queensland Great’ Award.
- 2013: Ralph Doherty QIMR Berghofer Prize for Outstanding Achievement and Leadership in Medical Research ‘Queensland Great’ Award.
- 2013: Queensland Australian of the Year.
- 2013: Jack Elkington Oration, Public Health Association of Australia, Queensland.
- 2013: The University of Queensland Vice-Chancellor’s Alumnus Excellence Award.
- 2013: Australian Financial Review and Westpac 100 Women of Influence- winner of Innovation Category and Overall Winner.
- 2013: Australasian Epidemiological Association Life Membership Award.
- MB, BS (Honours I), The University of Queensland.
- PhD Epidemiology, The University of Queensland.
- MSc Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
- Fellow, Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine.
- Fellow, Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences.