The Statistics Unit conducts collaborative research and provides a statistical consultancy service to all researchers from:
- QIMR Berghofer
- Metro North Hospital and Health Service (MNHHS)
- Mater Research
We are very motivated and pleased to support quality statistical design, analysis and interpretation of research.
This includes assistance with:
- formulating research questions
- study design
- analysis plans
- power and sample size calculations
- writing research grants and protocols
- data management plans
- handling data in statistical software packages
- analysis using statistical methods appropriate for medical and health research
- presentation and interpretation of data and analyses
- preparation of and co-authorship on publications
- addressing reviewers’ comments
We are most helpful to you at the beginning of your research project, however we are available at any stage.
The Statistics Unit receives direct financial support from QIMR Berghofer, MNHHS and Mater Research. We also receive financial support from research grants where collaborative work is carried out on specific projects.
Output and contributions
During 2017, we made the following contributions to medical and public health research productivity:
- Authorship of 37 peer reviewed publications, including 23 in journals with an impact factor >2 (moderate impact) and 6 with an impact factor >5 (moderate/high impact journals).
- We were named investigator on 16 ongoing research grants, including five new grants, seven NHMRC grants.
- We delivered an annual training program on introductory statistical themes called Making friends with Statistics comprised of four seminars and accompanying workshops, averaging 35 attendees per seminar.
- Targeted statistical seminars for QIMR Berghofer, MNHHS and Mater hospital groups.
- Our biostatisticians received academic and professional development on statistical themes, particularly complex modelling and higher degree training.
- We provided methodological expertise on collaborative projects through development and use of advanced statistical methods – particularly mixed effects generalised linear models and pharmacometric modelling for malaria medicines.
- We provided statistical expertise as members of ethics and external research committees and as reviewers for granting bodies and journal editors.
During 2017, 63 of 119 units (53%) across QIMR Berghofer and RBWH consulted with the Statistics Unit, with 44 being substantial users.
The unit expanded it services to all of MNHHS in July 2015. Wesley Medical Research joined us in September 2016 and Mater Research in July 2017.
Since the Statistics Unit was established in 2006:
- we have been authors on 309 peer reviewed publications (201 with QIMR Berghofer and 108 with MNHHS clinicians)
- our biostatisticians have been investigators on 42 grants worth $27.1 million in funding
- the statistical consultancy service has been used by 83 % of the units and departments of QIMR Berghofer and RBWH.
Head of unit
T (07) 3362 0305
Metro North Hospital and Health Service
Anita Pelecanos (Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital)
T (07) 3845 3728
Karen Hay (The Prince Charles Hospital (TPCH), Caboolture Hospital, Kilcoy Hospital, CISS)
T (07) 3845 3562
Emma Ballard (Management of MNHHS and Redcliffe Hospital)
T (07) 3845 3953
Cameron Hurst (Senior Biostatistician)
T (07) 3362 0168
T (07) 3845 3720
Eva Malacova (Senior Biostatistician)
T (07) 3845 3579
T (07) 3362 0152
T (07) 3362 0492
T (07) 3845 3492
Level 12, Bancroft Centre, QIMR Berghofer.