The QIMR Berghofer Histology Facility is a fully equipped service and research laboratory. The facility caters to the needs of scientists and postgraduate students from QIMR Berghofer as well as external and international institutions.
The unit provides technical services and also trains and consults on matters relating to:
- Routine paraffin and cryo histology
- Special stainsv
- Immunohistochemistry (Tyramide Signal Amplification) and antibody optimisation
- FISH and CISH labelling
- Tissue preparation and sectioning for transmission electron microscopy and high-resolution digitisation of histology slides (e.g. Vectra Imaging System).
The facility stocks a broad selection of commonly used primary antibodies and secondary detection antibodies to label mouse, rat, rabbit, goat, sheep, hamster, guinea pig and chicken primary antibodies with horseradish peroxidase, alkaline phosphatase, Alexa fluorescent or Tyramide (TSA) markers.
Dr Andrew Masel
The facility has a comprehensive range of equipment for paraffin and frozen sample processing and microtomy, automated slide de-waxing and staining.
Equipment at the facility includes:
- Excelsior ES tissue processors (x2)
- Tissue-Tek TEC paraffin embedding station
- ST5010 Autostainer XL (x2)
- CV5030 Robotic Coverslipper
- RM2235 rotary microtomes
- Slide and cassette writers
- Cryostar NX70 Cryostat
- Ventana Discovery Ultra automated IHC stainer
- Biocare Medical intelliPATH
- Vibratome NVSL
- Beecher Tissue MicroArrayer.
The facility accepts work requests from all sources on a pay-for-service basis. For more information, email Dr Andrew Masel: Andrew.Masel@qimrberghofer.edu.au
Requests are charged according to their type and origin. Charges differ for QIMR Berghofer staff and students, external academic clients, and commercial clients.
QIMR Berghofer Central building, Level 8, room 819
Laboratory Manager: Dr Andrew Masel, Andrew.Masel@qimrberghofer.edu.au
Senior Specialist Scientific Officer: Clay Winterford
Senior Scientific Technical Officers: Sang-Hee Park and Crystal Chang