The Immunopathology Laboratory is focussed on understanding the cellular and molecular mechanisms that drive immune-mediated pathologies. Our recent focus is on adaptive immune polarisation following allogeneic stem cell transplantation and its influence on graft versus host disease (GVHD). Donor stem cell transplantation is an important curative therapy in the treatment of blood cancers, however its application is limited by serious complications such as GVHD that have a significant impact on patient mortality and quality of life.
Early inflammatory responses during preparative transplant conditioning initiate a cascade of adaptive immune responses that manifest as acute and/or chronic tissue damage in >50% of transplant recipients. GVHD treatment options are relatively limited and focused on immunosuppression and steroidal therapy, which are problematic due to opportunistic infection and refractory disease, therefore new therapies are urgently needed.
Team Head: Associate Professor Kate Gartlan
- Karshing Chang, Research Assistant
- Rachel Kuns, Research Assistant
- Dr Andrea Henden, Research Officer
- Gartlan KH, Bommiasamy H, Paz K, Wilkinson AN, Owen M, Reichenbach DK, Banovic T, Wehner K, Buchanan F, Varelias A, Kuns RD, Chang K, Fedoriw Y, Shea T, Coghill J, Zaiken M, Plank MW, Foster PS, Clouston AD, Blazar BR, Serody JS, Hill GR. A critical role for donor-derived IL-22 in cutaneous chronic GVHD. Am J Transplant. 2018 Apr;18(4):810-820.
- Markey KA, Gartlan KH. Imaging Flow Cytometry to Assess Antigen-Presenting-Cell Function. Curr Protoc Immunol. 2019 Mar 6:e72.
- Gartlan KH, Markey KA, Varelias A, Bunting MD, Koyama M, Kuns RD, Raffelt NC, Olver SD, Lineburg KE, Cheong M, Teal BE, Lor M, Comerford I, Teng MW, Smyth MJ, McCluskey J, Rossjohn J, Stockinger B, Boyle GM, Lane SW, Clouston AD, McColl SR, MacDonald KP, Hill GR. Tc17 cells are a proinflammatory, plastic lineage of pathogenic CD8+ T cells that induce GVHD without antileukemic effects. Blood.2015 Sep 24;126(13):1609-20.
- Gartlan KH, Varelias A, Koyama M, Robb RJ, Markey KA, Chang K, Wilkinson AN, Smith D, Ullah MA, Kuns RD, Raffelt NC, Olver SD, Lineburg KE, Teal BE, Cheong M, Teng MWL, Smyth MJ, Tey SK, MacDonald KPA, Hill GR. Th17 plasticity and transition toward a pathogenic cytokine signature are regulated by cyclosporine after allogeneic SCT. Blood Adv. 2017 Jan 26;1(6):341-351.
- Gartlan KH, Krashias G, Wegmann F, Hillson WR, Scherer EM, Greenberg PD, Eisenbarth SC, Moghaddam AE, Sattentau QJ. Sterile inflammation induced by Carbopol elicits robust adaptive immune responses in the absence of pathogen-associated molecular patterns. Vaccine. 2016 Apr 27;34(19):2188-96.
If you wish to apply for QIMR Berghofer's student program,
click here for more information.