The Immunology in Cancer and Infection Laboratory focuses on advancing understanding of the basic principles underlying an immune response to cancer (and metastases) and infection, as well as further understanding these processes at the molecular level, with particular emphasis on the role of the innate immune system. In particular, NK cells, innate lymphoid cells, dendritic cells and neutrophils.
In particular, work is being undertaken that deletes various genes in NK cells in the context of tumour initiation and metastases. ILC in tumour development is also being tracked and quantitifed. Therapeutically, various antibodies and cytokines are being used in combination on mice to stimulate strong innate and lasting adaptive immunity to cancer.
The laboratory has developed approaches to block two new pathways, including lymphocyte CD96/TIGIT and adenosine metabolism. Findings are being used to develop more effective biological and cellular therapies for human cancer, in particular, melanoma, breast and prostate cancer, lung cancer, head and neck cancer, and haematological cancers, such as multiple myeloma.
Group Leader Professor Mark Smyth’s resume can be downloaded here (PDF).
Senior Scientist: Professor Mark Smyth
- Professor Bill Dougall, Group Leader and Senior Principal Research Fellow
- Deepak Mittal, Senior Research Officer
- Viviana Lutzky, Research Officer
- Kimberley Stannard, Research Officer
- Kyohei Nakaumra, Research Officer
- Xian-Yang Li, Research Officer
- Dr Deborah Barkauskas, Research Officer
- Dipti Vijayan, Research Officer
- Camille Guillerey, Research Officer
- Dr Liam Town, Laboratory Manager
- Kate Elder, Scientific Technical Officer
- Dr Ailin Lepletier, Research Officer
- Amy Roman, Research Assistant
- Aaron Gao, PhD student
- Dr Elizabeth Ahern, PhD Student
- Jake O’Donnell, PhD Student
- Private: Brett Stringer – old, Research Officer
- Sophie Krumeich, Scientific Technical Officer
- Shin Foong Ngiow, NHMRC Overseas Early Career Fellow
- Michelle Yong, Research Assistant
- Michelle Story, Visiting Student
- Indrajit Das, Research Officer
- Yuan Yu, Student
- Gabrielle Kelly, Research Assistant
- Matthias Braun, Visiting Scientist
If you wish to apply for QIMR Berghofer's student program,
click here for more information.