This laboratory investigates all aspects of gynaecological cancer from aetiology to diagnosis, patterns of care, quality of life and survival. A particular focus is on the role of environmental (non-genetic) factors and the interaction between genetic and environmental factors in the causation and prognosis of gynaecological cancer.
Much of this work is conducted within two national population-based case control studies: the Australian Ovarian Cancer Study (AOCS) and the Australian National Endometrial Cancer Study (ANECS) and within two international consortia, the Ovarian Cancer Association Consortium (OCAC) and Epidemiology of Endometrial Cancer Consortium (E2C2). We have also recently completed the 24-month follow-up for the Ovarian Cancer Prognosis and Lifestyle (OPAL) Study in which we are investigating whether modifiable aspects of lifestyle are associated with outcomes following a diagnosis of ovarian cancer. We have also obtained approval for a new project using data-linkage to assess the relation between medication use and cancer risk and outcomes.
Group Leader and NHMRC Senior Research Fellow: Professor Penelope Webb
- Dr Christina Nagle, Senior Research Officer
- Associate Professor Vanessa Beesley, Senior Research Officer
- Dr Nina Na, Research Officer
- Dr Jia-Li Feng, Research Officer
- Dr Kiri Ibiebele, Research Officer
- Suzanne O’Brien, Project Manager
- Jillian Hung, Project Manager
- Sue Brown, Research Nurse
- Ellen Minehan, Research Nurse (Sydney)
- Helen Steane, Research Nurse (Hobart)
- Deborah Roffe, Research Nurse (Adelaide)
- Julianne Wilson, Research Interviewer
- Therese Lawton, Admin Officer
- Suzanne Dixon, PhD Student
- Amanda Ross, Admin Officer
- Azam Majidi, PhD Student
- Karen Martin, Research Nurse
- Emily Dickson, Research Assistant
- A/Prof Susan Jordan, Affiliate
If you wish to apply for QIMR Berghofer's student program,
click here for more information.