The Cancer and Chronic Disease Research Group covers three main broad research areas:
- Management of chronic liver disease (e.g. cirrhosis, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), chronic hepatitis C) and hepatocellular carcinoma (the most common type of liver cancer).
- Descriptive epidemiology of cancer and chronic liver disease (e.g. predicting change in incidence rates of liver cancer from 2005 to 2030). Patricia’s research paper can be viewed at the Wiley Paper Database.
- Patterns of care of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with cancer, from diagnosis, use of health services, supportive care needs, cancer treatment and survival.
The laboratory also collaborates with other research groups on projects focusing on chronic respiratory disease (e.g. bronchiectasis, asthma), cervical, bone and lung cancers, and multiple sclerosis.
Team Head: Associate Professor Patricia Valery
- Dr Christina Bernardes, Research Officer
- Abbey-Rose Diaz, PhD student
- Audra de Witt, PhD student
- Kelly Hayward, Master of Philosophy student
- Marie Lashbrook, PhD student
- Dr Paul Clark, Early Career Fellow
- Karen Martin, Research Nurse
- Therese Lawton, Admin Officer
- Kandice Keoh, Masters Student
- Joo Hyun Kwon, Junior Staff
- Francisca Powell, Junior Staff
- Isanka Ratnasekera, Casual Staff
- General practitioners’ referrals of patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: are they knowledgeable?
- Cirrhosis Care (CirCare): quality of care study (comparing treatment received against evidence-based guidelines for cirrhosis)
- Cirrhosis Care (CirCare): patient factors study (understanding patient factors that impact on health outcomes for patients with cirrhosis)
If you wish to apply for QIMR Berghofer's student program,
click here for more information.