The Cancer and Population Studies Group aims to understand the causes of cancer and how to better prevent and manage cancer. Thus we investigate the roles of environmental and personal factors in the causation of cancer and its precursors, and in cancer prognosis. We collaborate with clinicians, statisticians and behavioural scientists and also with laboratory scientists to better understand the underlying mechanisms of carcinogenesis and our particular focus is cancers of the skin.
Senior Scientist: Professor Adele Green
- Angela Carroll, Research Nurse
- Maryrose Malt, Project Manager
- Dr Kyoko Miura, Research Officer
- Maricel Hughes, Research Assistant
- Brigid Betz-Stablein, Research Officer
- Dr Lena Von Schuckmann, Coursework Masters Student
- Dr Emily Shao, Student
Selected Publications Highlights
- Green A.A theory of the site distribution of melanomas. Cancer Causes Control 1992; 3: 513-6.
- Del Mar C, Green A. An aid to the diagnosis of melanoma in primary medical care. Br Med J 1995; 310: 492-5.
- Green A, Battistutta D, Hart V, Leslie D, Weedon D and the Nambour Study Group. Skin cancer in a subtropical Australian population: incidence and lack of association with occupation. Am J Epidemiol 1996; 144: 1034-40.
- Green A, Purdie D, Bain C, Siskind V, Russell P, Quinn M, Ward B and Survey of Women’s Health Study. Tubal sterilization, hysterectomy and decreased risk of ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer 1997; 71: 948-51.
- Green A, McCredie M, MacKie R, Giles G, Young P, Morton C, Jackman L, Thursfield V. A case-control study of melanomas of the feet and hands in Australia and Scotland. Cancer Causes Control 1999; 10: 21-5.
- Green A,Williams G, Neale R, Hart V, Leslie D, Parsons P, Marks GC, Gaffney P, Battistutta D, Frost C, Lang C; Russell A. Daily sunscreen application and betacarotene supplementation in prevention of basal-cell and squamous-cell carcinomas of the skin: a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet 1999; 354: 723-29. [erratum The Lancet 1999; 354:1038]
- Frost C, Williams G, Green A. High incidence and regression rates of solar keratoses in a Queensland community. J Invest Dermatol 2000; 115: 273-77.
- Siskind V, Darlington S, Green L, Green A. Evolution of melanocytic naevi on the faces and necks of adolescents: a four-year longitudinal study. J Invest Dermatol 2002; 118: 500-504.
- Whiteman DC, Watt P, Purdie DM, Balajadia-Hughes M-C, Green AC. Melanocytic nevi, actinic keratoses and the origins of cutaneous melanoma. J Nat Cancer Instit 2003; 95: 806-12.
- Valery P, Neale R, Williams G, Pandeya N, Siller G, Green A. The effect of skin examination surveys on the incidence of BCC in a Queensland population: a ten-year longitudinal study. J Invest Dermatol Symp Proc 2004; 9: 148-51.
- van der Pols JC, Williams GM, Neale RE, Clavarino A, Green AC.Long-term increase in sunscreen use in an Australian community after a skin cancer prevention trial. Prev Med 2006; 42: 171-6.
- ValeryPC, Coory M, Stirling J, Green AC. Cancer diagnosis, treatment and survival in Indigenous compared with non-Indigenous Australians treated in public hospitals. Lancet 2006; 367: 1842-1848
- Hughes MC, Marks GC. van der Pols JC, Williams G, Green AC. Food intake and risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the skin in a community sample: the Nambour skin cancer study. Int J Cancer 2006; 119: 1953–60.
- Hirst N, Gordon L, Gies P, Green AC. Estimation of avoidable skin cancers and cost-savings to government associated with regulation of the solarium industry in Australia. Health Policy. 2009; 89: 303-11.
- Richmond-Sinclair NM, Pandeya N, Ware RS, Neale RE, Williams GM, van der Pols JC, Green AC.Incidence of basal cell carcinoma multiplicity and detailed anatomic distribution: longitudinal study of an Australian population. J Invest Dermatol 2009;129: 323-8.
- Green AC, Williams GM, Logan V, Strutton G. Reduced melanoma after regular sunscreen use: randomized trial follow-up. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29: 257-263.
- van der Pols JC, Boyle GM, Xu C, Hughes MCB, Carr S, Parsons PG, Green AC.Serum omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and cutaneous p53 expression in an Australian population. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2011;20:530-6.
- Green AC, Baade PD, Coory MD, Aitken JF, Smithers BM. Population-based 20-year survival among people diagnosed with thin melanomas (<00mm) in Queensland, Australia. J Clin Oncol 2012; 30:1462-1467.
- Hughes MCB, Baker P, Williams GM, Green AC. Sunscreen and prevention of skin aging: a randomized, controlled trial. Annals Int Med 2013; 158: 781-90.
- Wallingford SC,Alston RD, Birch JM,Green AC.Regional melanoma incidence in England, 1996-2006: reversal of north-south latitude trends among young females. Br J Dermatol 2013; 169: 880-8.
- Keim U, van der Pols JC, Williams GM, Green AC. Exclusive development of a single type of keratinocyte cancer. Evidence from an Australian population-based study. J Invest Dermatol 2015; 135:728-33.
- Muranushi C, Olsen CM, Pandeya N, Green AC. Aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can prevent cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Invest Dermatol 2015; 135: 975-83.
- Wallingford SC, Iannacone MR, Youlden DR, Baade PD, Ives A, Verne J, Aitken JF, Green AC. Comparison of melanoma incidence and trends among youth under 25 years in Australia and England, 1990-2010. Int J Cancer 2015; 137: 2227–2233.
- Jiyad Z, O’Rourke P, Marquart L, Green AC. The natural history of actinic keratoses in organ transplant recipients. JAAD 2017; 76: 162-164.
- Green AC, Viros A, Hughes MCB, Gaudy-Marqueste C, Akhras V, Cook MG, Marais R. Nodular melanoma: a histopathologic entity? Acta Derm-Venereol 2018; 98: 460-462.
If you wish to apply for QIMR Berghofer's student program,
click here for more information.