QIMR Berghofer researchers study Streptococcus bacteria, which cause a wide range of diseases including:
- rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease
- strep throat
- impetigo (skin disease)
- necrotising faciitis (flesh-eating bacterial infection)
- scarlet fever
- streptococcal toxic shock syndrome.
We are currently studying group A, C and G Streptococci, with the potential to developing a vaccine against the group A bacterium.
Our research focuses on:
- identifying the mechanisms that streptococcal bacteria use to cause infection and disease
- investigating possible diagnostic tools for streptococcal infections
- researching group C and G streptococcal disease.