QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute Strategic Plan 2019-2023
Better health through medical research.
To be a world renowned medical research institution that translates discoveries into clinical practice.
1) FOSTER SCIENTIFIC EXCELLENCE
- Recognise and reward scientific excellence.
- Continue to prioritise employment security for faculty.
- Fund early-stage research to leverage external grants.
- Continue to ensure research authenticity.
- Identify opportunities and change the emphasis of research to maximise the chances to be leaders.
- Stress a strong multi-disciplinary commitment to address key health challenges or further develop new inter-disciplinary clusters.
2) Build scientific, institutional and international connectivity
- Maintain strong relationships with the universities and the Herston campus and take an active involvement in the redevelopment of the Herston campus.
- Actively participate in the Brisbane Diamantina Health Partners Health Research and Translational Medicine Centre concept, which brings together eight
of Queensland’s leading hospitals, universities and research institutes.
- Maintain and strengthen the Institute’s Asia Strategy that seeks to identify opportunities for collaboration, partnerships and fundraising in Asia.
- Develop greater links with European and US laboratories, building on ongoing collaborations.
- Continue to identify opportunities and support the delivery of international research conferences in Brisbane.
3) Undertake research with economic, clinical and community consequence
- Consolidate ‘bench to business to bedside (B2B2B)’ into the philosophy and functioning of the Institute.
- Continue to operate the ‘SEED Box’ (Scientific Exploitation and Entrepreneurial Development) fund to support projects that have advanced beyond the proof-of-concept stage to help them grow toward commercialisation.
- Maintain the focus on translational research.
- Strengthen collaborations with clinical partners, especially those on the Herston campus.
- Undertake research of relevance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health.
- Engage with our community of supporters relevant to our growing programs in cancer, infectious diseases, mental health and chronic disorders.
4) Strengthen enabling mechanisms
- Diversify and expand income sources.
- Expand external stakeholder and consumer reference groups.
- Continue to plan and roll out a major philanthropy campaign.
- Maintain expenditure on required cutting-edge, large-scale equipment.
- Ensure efficiency across all operations.
- Maintain a high level of internal communication and input into decision making.