QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute Strategic Plan 2020-2024
Better health through medical research.
To be a world-renowned medical research institution that translates discoveries into clinical practice
1) FOSTER SCIENTIFIC EXCELLENCE
- Recognise and reward scientific excellence.
- Continue to prioritise employment security for Faculty.
- Fund early-stage research to leverage external grants.
- Continue to ensure research authenticity.
- Maintain number one position, among competitor institutes, for scientific output (measured by number of publications annually).
- Maintain a five-year growth rate of more than 15% for total citations (measured by Web of Science).
- Increase quality and quantity of scientific output (measured by h-Index) of Faculty to 40 by 2020 and maintain that level.
2) Build scientific, institutional and international connectivity
- Maintain strong relationships with the Herston campus and the universities and take an active involvement in the redevelopment of the Herston campus.
- Actively participate in the Brisbane Diamantina Health Partners Advanced Health Research and Translation Centre.
- Maintain and strengthen the Institute’s Asia Strategy, which seeks to identify opportunities for collaboration, partnerships and fundraising in Asia.
- Develop greater links with European and US laboratories, building on ongoing collaborations.
- Continue to identify opportunities to support the delivery of international research conferences in Brisbane.
- • Increase invitations to speak at international conferences to 100 in five years (measured using data gathered in the Institute’s annual census).
- Increase international lectures to 200 in five years.
- Increase invitations to speak at national conferences to 150 in five years.
3) Undertake research with economic, clinical and community consequence
- Consolidate ‘bench to business to bedside’ into the philosophy and functioning of the Institute.
- Maintain the focus on translational research.
- Strengthen collaborations with clinical partners, especially those on the Herston campus.
- Undertake research of relevance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health.
- Engage with our community of supporters.
- Maintain the percentage of QIMR Berghofer researchers engaged in collaborations with clinicians at 60% or greater (measured using data gathered in the Institute’s annual
4) Strengthen enabling mechanisms
- Diversify and expand income sources.
- Expand external stakeholder and consumer reference groups.
- Continue to plan and roll out a major philanthropy campaign.
- Maintain expenditure on required cutting-edge, large-scale equipment.
- Ensure efficiency across all operations.
- Achieve an increase in philanthropic income.
- Achieve an increase in commercial income.
- Achieve an increase in NHMRC and MRFF grant funding.