If you are enrolled at an Australian or overseas university you may enrol as a visiting student to undertake a research project or placement with a scientist at QIMR Berghofer as a part of your degree program.
To be accepted as a Visiting Student at QIMR Berghofer you must:
- be enrolled in a postgraduate degree, or the final year of an undergraduate degree at a recognised Australian or overseas university
- have arranged a research project or placement with a QIMR Berghofer supervisor
- complete and submit a Visiting Student Admission Form at least one month before you want to start at QIMR Berghofer
- international students must obtain an appropriate visa from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. This process may take up to 12 weeks to finalise and this should be taken into consideration when determining your visit dates. For more information for international students, see our international students page.
Visiting Student placements are for no more than six months duration. If you want to work at QIMR Berghofer for longer than this, for example you are a PhD student enrolled outside QIMR Berghofer and want to spend some of your time working with your associate supervisor at QIMR Berghofer, you should apply for admission as a postgraduate student.
To be considered for a visiting student placement here, you should first identify a suitable QIMR Berghofer researcher who supports your application and will supervise you during your time at QIMR Berghofer. Information about the research laboratories and groups can be found on the our Research page.
You or your QIMR Berghofer supervisor should email the following documents as ONE pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org. All documents should be in English.
- Completed visiting student admission. (DOCX 52.4 KB)
- Current curriculum vitae or resume.
- Brief project outline (no more than one page).
- A letter of support or training agreement from your home university or course supervisor that confirms your placement at QIMR Berghofer is a part of your degree program.
- Proof of a valid visa to study in Australia (international student).
- Documentation from your home university to confirm that you will be enrolled there during your time at QIMR Berghofer and therefore covered by their insurance*.
- Training agreements – please provide this document as early as possible for signing.* This information may be included in the letter of support or training document above but must be on university letterhead and must show that you will be covered during the whole of your stay at QIMR Berghofer (with dates). Please provide the policy statement if possible. If you are not covered by your university’s insurance you may purchase your own overseas travel insurance. Your policy must cover you for your placement in Australia (with dates) and please provide your policy details as part of your application.
Once we have received the completed form and all supporting documents, the Higher Degrees Committee will consider your application and you will be notified of the outcome in writing as soon as possible.
Before you can start your project at QIMR Berghofer you must have:
- received notification that your visiting student admission (DOCX 52.4 KB) has been approved
- provided current proof of enrolment from your home university
- collected your induction documents from Human Resources.
For help, please contact email@example.com.