A message from our Director, Professor Frank Gannon
At QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute we recognise the exceptional quality of undergraduate students studying at prestigious universities across the Asia region. It is our great hope that the Asia Short Term Placement scheme will entice some of the best and brightest to spend some time with us in Brisbane, Australia. We hope the ASTP scheme will be the catalyst for long-term relationships between the students and QIMR Berghofer, and that the Institute may benefit from future collaborations.
How to apply
- Check the student projects page and contact a potential supervisor.
- Submit an ASTP application form with the following supporting documentation
- All academic transcripts (please include grading guides)
- A letter of support or training agreement from your home University on official letterhead
- Adequate insurance cover (Insurance must cover you for the period of your stay at QIMR Berghofer and adequately cover your activities carried out at QIMR Berghofer)
- Two referee letters
- Brief project outline (arrange this with your supervisor, approximately one page)
- We will notify you of the outcome of the application, and if you are successful, we will provide you with further instructions.
Further enquiries or questions
Contact our Graduate Education Coordinator
Eligibility and selection criteria
This is open to potential PhD students who:
- are interested in carrying out a PhD at QIMR Berghofer, and therefore are able to meet the standard appropriate basis for entry int
o a PhD program at a Queensland University (minimum a bachelor’s degree with Hons class IIA or Masters degree)
- are citizens of: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China (People’s Republic of), India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand or Vietnam
- can begin their research placement within 12 months from the date of notification*
- provide a letter from the University that says it supports the application and recognises the value of this training for the educational development of the student.
*We can provide assistance with Visa applications but please note that an application can take up to 12 weeks from time of lodgement to be granted. This will affect your start date.
Eligible applicants showing the greatest merit as demonstrated by:
- Past academic achievement: academic excellence and high achieving students are encouraged to apply
- Relevant research experience
The program duration is three months. This can be extended at the cost to the group hosting the student at the allowance value.
An allowance of AUD$300/week, up to a total of AUD$3,600 will be offered to successful placements.
Find out more about living in Brisbane.