QIMR Berghofer runs a free annual high school lecture series where students can hear about the latest medical research discoveries, tour state-of-the-art laboratories and investigate careers in science.
Lectures are held in the auditorium at QIMR Berghofer and are attended by up to 600 senior science students from south-east Queensland and their teachers. As part of the program, students:
- listen to leading scientists talk about their research (presentations run for approximately 10-15 minutes each, with 10 minutes for interactive questions)
- tour a QIMR Berghofer laboratory with a science ambassador
- be able to ask questions about careers in science and medical research.
School students are typically on site from 9.00 am to 12.30 pm. Certificates of participation are available for teachers.
Bookings and dates
The 2018 High School Lecture Series will run on the following dates:
- Lecture Series 1 – 26 April (24 April is fully booked)
- Lecture Series 2 – 25 July (24 July is fully booked)
Schools in the Brisbane metropolitan region (PDF 2.1MB) may book up to 75 seats. Schools in regional areas (North Coast, South Coast, Darling Downs or further) and remote schools may book up to 100 seats.
2018 Program schedule
|9:15 am||Welcome address|
|9:30 am||Cancer presentation|
|10:00 am||Infectious diseases presentation|
|10:30 am||Morning tea (b.y.o.)|
|10:50 am||Mental health presentation|
|11:20 am||Chronic disorders presentation|
|11:50 am||Education program overview|
|11:55 am||Small group lab tour|
Find out more
To find out more about this program, contact the Schools Education Coordinator.
Schools Education Coordinator
Dr Liam St Pierre (Mon-Wed) T (07) 3362 0307
Dr Rowena Long (Thu-Fri) T (07) 3362 0453