Current QIMR Berghofer appointment
- 1992-current: Senior Scientist and Senior Principal Research Fellow, QIMR Berghofer.
Other current appointments
- Adjunct Professor, Departments of Pathology (1993), Zoology (1996) and Psychology (2003), The University of Queensland.
- 1992-2012: Senior Principal Research Fellow, QIMR.
- 1988-1992: Principal Research Fellow, QIMR.
- 1986-1988: Senior Research Fellow, QIMR.
- 1983-1986: Assistant Professor, Department of Human Genetics, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, USA.
- 1978-1983: Research Fellow, Department of Population Biology, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra.
- 1976-1978: Research Fellow, Department of Genetics, University of Birmingham, England.
Current Area of Research
I am a human geneticist and founded the Australian Twin Registry with over 30,000 pairs enrolled nationwide. My expertise is in the execution and statistical genetic analysis of large twin studies of behavioral and other phenotypes.
I now focus on genome-wide association studies and my group has contributed to over 5 % of the world total of GWAS studies (over 200 papers since 2007).
- Developed and first published many of the statistical genetic techniques in structural equation modeling now widely applied.
- The first to perform power calculations showing the huge number of twins need to obtain reliable results, and in 1978 this was a prime stimulus for foundation of the Australian Twin Registry.
- Co-founded the Australian Twin Registry, which has been a valuable resource for dozens of research projects across a wide range of biomedical disciplines.
- Substantive contributions to the genetics of anxiety and depression, alcoholism, melanoma, and a number of other diseases.
- Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia (ASSA) (Fellow).
- Australian Academy of Brain Sciences (Member).
- International Society of Twin Studies (ISTS) (Fellow).
- American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG).
- Behavior Genetics Association (BGA) (President, 1996-1998).
- Human Genetics Society of Australasia.
- European Society of Human Genetics.
- International Society of Genetic Epidemiology.
- Human Genome Organisation (HUGO).
- Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry (ANZJP).
- 2012-current: Advisory Board A&NZ, Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry (ANZJP).
- 2008-2010: Associate editor of the American Journal of Human Genetics, one of only three foreigners.
- 2008: Australian Academy of Science (AAS) (Fellow).
- 2005: Behavior Genetics Association, Dobzhansky Award for Outstanding Contributions to Behavior Genetics.
- 2004: QIMR Berghofer Ralph Doherty Prize for Outstanding Achievement and Leadership in Medical Research.
- 2005-current: Editorial Board of Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry.
- 2003: Australian Academy of Social Sciences (AASS) (Fellow).
- 2000-current: Editor in Chief of Twin Research and Human Genetics.
- 1993-current: Editorial Board of American Journal of Medical Genetics (Neuropsychiatric Genetics).
- Advisory Board, Australian NHMRC Twin Registry.
- 2003: Fulker award for best paper in Behavior Genetics (with N. Gillespie and others).
- 2003: Fellow of the Australian Academy of Social Sciences.
- 1999: Fulker award for best paper in Behavior Genetics (with M. Neale and others).
- 1998-2002: Editorial Board of Journal of Studies on Alcohol.
- 1996-1998: President, Behavior Genetics Association.
- 1987-1990: Executive Committee, Behavior Genetics Association.
- 1986-2001: Executive Committee, International Society of Twin Studies.
- 1986: International Society of Twin Studies (ISTS), James Shields Award for outstanding contributions to Twin Research.
- 1986-1992: Associate Editor of Behavior Genetics.
- 1978: Established Australian Twin Registry (with J.D. Mathews).
- 1977: University of Birmingham: Department of Genetics, PhD.
- 1972: University of Adelaide: Department of Genetics, BSc First class Honours in Genetics.