Current QIMR Berghofer appointment
- Senior Scientist, Systems Neuroscience
- 2012 – current: Professor – School of Physics, University of Sydney.
- 2011 – current: Professor – School of Psychiatry, University of Queensland.
- 2008 – current: Chair, Division of Mental Health Research, QIMR Berghofer.
- 2007 – current: Associate Professor – School of Psychiatry, UNSW.
- 2006 – 2008: Advanced Trainee in Psychiatry, The Black Dog Institute, Sydney.
- 2005 – 2006: Research Fellow/Conjoint Lecturer – School of Psychiatry, UNSW.
- 2003 – 2005: Post-doctoral Research Fellow, School of Psychiatry, UNSW.
- 2003 – 2004: Senior Registrar in Psychiatry, St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney.
- 2002 – 2005: Guest Lecturer, NSW Institute of Psychiatry.
- 1998 – 2003: Registrar in Psychiatry, South East Sydney Area Health Service.
Current Area of Research
Systems Neuroscience is an approach to brain sciences that seeks the basic principles of brain organisation, dynamics and function across a hierarchy of spatial and temporal scales. It is a rapidly growing field that differs considerably from the traditional reductionist paradigm in neuroscience that addresses sufficient causes for local phenomena.
The work of the group embodies these principles across three broad domains -empirical, computational and clinical neuroscience. The overarching aim of this work is to contribute towards unifying models of brain architecture, dynamics and cognitive (dys)function.
Work includes dementia, depression, bipolar disorder, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, schizophrenia and post-natal hypoxia areas.
- Electrophysiological markers of brain injury following hypoxia at birth.
- Integrative model of human epilepsy.
- Computational account of major brain rhythms.
- Brain network disturbances in bipolar disorder.
- Brain imaging diagnostic test for major depression.
- Non-invasive predictors at pre-term birth for later cerebral cortex.
- Imaging-based predictors of cognitive decline in early dementia.
- Computational model of brain dysfunction in schizophrenia.
- Treasurer, Organisation for Human Brain Mapping
- Chair, Neurotechnology Section, Australian Brain Alliance
- Program Coordinator, Mental Health and Complex Disorders, QIMR Berghofer.
- Chair, Research Committee, Metro North Mental Health Service, Brisbane.
- Chair, Research Advisory Group, Herston Imaging Research Facility, Brisbane.
- Chair, Academic Panel, Queensland Branch Training Committee (RANZCP).
- Assigner’s Academy, Project Grants, NHMRC.
- Senior Editor, NeuroImage (top field-specific journal): >3000 papers handled since 2009.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Computational Neuroscience.
- Guest Editor: Journal of Neuroscience Methods.
- Reviewing Duties: Science, Neuron, Nature Reviews Neuroscience, Nature Communications, Current Biology, Trends in Neuroscience, PLoS Biology, PNAS, Journal of Neuroscience, NeuroImage, Physical Review Letters, PLoS Computational Biology, American Journal of Psychiatry, others.
- Grant Reviews: NHMRC (project, CRC); ARC (discovery), International (Helmholtz, Germany; MRC, UK; Isaac Newton Trust, UK).
- 2017: RANZCP Senior Research Award, Excellence in research in the field of psychiatry
- 2016: Metro North Mental Health and Hospital Service Research Excellence Awards , Researcher of the Year (inaugural)
- 2016: Principal Research Fellowship (PRF), NHMRC
- 2015: Principal Chief Investigator (CIA), NHMRC dementia collaborative team grant, ($6.3 million)
- 2013: Aubrey Lewis Award, Biological Psychiatry Australia (Leading Australian Researcher in Biological Psychiatry within 10 years of PhD).
- 2012: John and Alice Bostock Oration, RANZCP, Queensland.
- 2011: Winner, Clinical Researcher Award (Aust. Society for Medical Research, QLD).
- 2010: Senior Health Research Fellowship (Queensland Office of Health and Medical Research).
- 2007: Organon Young Psychiatrist Award, RANZCP ($6,000).
- 2006: Principle Named Investigator (CIA), ‘Thinking Systems Initiative’ Combined ARC + NHMRC program, ($3.3 million, 5 years).
- 2005: Young Investigator Research Award, RANZCP ($6,000).
- 2004: American Psychiatric Association ‘Young Minds in Psychiatry’ International Award ($60,000).
- 2003: Pfizer Neuroscience Research Grant ($44,000), europsychiatry Interest Group Travel Bursary ($1,000), RANZCP College Award for Best Paper by a Psychiatry Trainee.
- 2002: NSW Institute of Psychiatry Research Fellowship ($32,000), University of Sydney SESQUI Post-Doctoral Fellowship ($23,647), Eli-Lily Scholars Award for Best Presentation by an Early Career Researcher, Australasian Schizophrenia Congress Organon Award for Best Early Career Researcher in Australasian Psychiatry (Australasian Society for Psychiatric Research).
- 2001: Australian Institute of Physics Award for Postgraduate Excellence.
- 2000: University of Sydney, Faculty of Medicine Travel Grant ($5,000) Australian Post-Graduate Research Award ($17,267 p.a. for 3 years).
- 1993: Tapping Bequest for Medical Elective Term ($5,000).
- 1992: International Student Exchange Scholarship (UCSC) ($5,000).
- 1990: First Place, National Undergraduate Essay in Neuroscience (Australian Society for Neuroscience).
- 2010: FRANZCP – Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists.
- 2003: Doctor of Philosophy – Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney.
- 1994: Bachelor of Medicine MB BS(Hons) – University of Sydney.
- 1992: Bachelor of Arts BA(Hons) – H1, University of Sydney.
- 1990: Bachelor of Science BSc(Med) – H1, University of Sydney.