Current QIMR Berghofer appointment
- 2015 – present: Team Head, Translational Brain Cancer Research Laboratory (QIMR Berghofer) and Sid Faithfull Fellow.
- 2008 – 2015: Leukaemia Foundation Research Unit (QIMR Berghofer), Postdoctoral Scientist (seven years).
Current Area of Research
The Translational Brain Cancer Research Laboratory studies the most common and aggressive form of both adult brain cancer, Glioblastoma (GBM) and paediatric brain cancer Medulloblastoma. The focus of our research is on understanding the molecular mechanisms which are responsible for the initiation and recurrence of brain cancers and to develop and test new and effective therapies to treat these aggressive diseases.
- Establishment of a brain cancer tissue and culture bank at QIMR Berghofer.
- Definition of EphA3 as a novel therapeutic target in adult brain cancer.
- Ongoing clinical assessment of an EphA3 monoclonal antibody (KB004) in recurrent adult brain cancer.
- Identification of salinomycin as brain cancer stem cell targeting therapy and potent radiomimetic
- Strong research focus on translational therapies for the treatment of high grade glioma.
- Director – Australian Society for Medical Research (ASMR)
- Member – Cooperative Trials Group for NeuroOncology (COGNO)
- 2015: Invited Plenary Speaker (Cure Cancer Australia, Gala Event)
- 2014: Invited Speaker (Brisbane Cancer Conference)
- 2014: Invited Speaker (Cure Brain Cancer Foundation Scientific Meeting, Sydney)
- 2014: Invited Speaker (World Congress of the Society of Brain Mapping and Therapeutics, Sydney)
- 2013: Invited Speaker (Institute Seminar Series, St Vincent’s Institute, Melbourne)
- 2013: Prize (QIMR Berghofer MRI Annual Institute Awards) – Best Postdoctoral Researcher
- 2013: Invited Speaker (Research Excellence in Cancer Care Symposium, Brisbane)
- 2013: Prize (Cooperative Trials Group for Neuro-Oncology (COGNO) – Best Poster
- 2013: Invited Speaker (NFi Symposium, QLD Brain Institute, Brisbane)
- 2013: Invited Breakthrough Speaker (Stem Cells and Cancer Conference, Melbourne)
- 2012: Conference Organiser (COGNO) Meeting, Brisbane)
- 2011: Invited Speaker (COGNO Meeting, Sydney)
- 2010: Chair Brain Tumour Session (Lorne Cancer Conference, Lorne)
- University of Newcastle (B.App Sc)
- The University of Queensland (B.Sc Hons)
- The University of Queensland (PhD)