- About Us
- Our Research
- Diseases and conditions
- Research Groups
- Research support and facilities
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
- Participate in our research
- Research highlights
- Research history
- Glossary of research terms
- Support Us
- Why support QIMR Berghofer?
- Ways to help
- Book a tour or guest speaker
- Our supporters
- Thanks to our donors
- News & Events
- Media releases
- Lifelab newsletter
- Media centre
- Annual Report
- Contact Us
- Our Services
- CMV study
- Queensland Pancreatic Cancer Study
- QIMR Berghofer Centre for Immunotherapy and Vaccine Development
QIMR Berghofer is acknowledging the significant health disparity between Indigenous Australians and non-Indigenous Australians, by conducting research in priority areas with the aim of reducing the burden of illness for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
37% of QIMR Berghofer research is dedicated to diseases that have a higher incidence in Indigenous Australians.
The QIMR Berghofer Council recently endorsed the Institute’s strategic plan for Indigenous health research 2013- 2015, which describes our commitment to leadership and collaboration as mechanisms to support Indigenous Australia realise its vision of improved health.
Over the next two years, the program will focus its efforts across two phases:
- Establishment: Develop the program to ensure that research activities that have implications for Indigenous health that are sustainable, consultative, and translational.
- Implementation: Plan and deliver research outcomes that translate to improvement in the health and wellbeing of Indigenous Australians.
Strategies to success
The program aims to demonstrate leadership and collaboration in the area of Indigenous health research through activities that:
- Innovate: Raise the profile of Indigenous health research within QIMR Berghofer and the community.
- Assure: Cultural competence of QIMR Berghofer with respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health research.
- Support: Maintain an active presence on matters relevant to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health.
- Mentor: Train Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students of QIMR Berghofer.
- Network: Maintain strong connections with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health research community.
- Deliver: Collaborate to stimulate research for the betterment of the health and wellbeing of Indigenous Australians.