The QIMR Berghofer MNHHS Statistics Unit provides statistical consultancy services and collaborates with scientists and clinicians from QIMR Berghofer and Metro North Hospital and Health Service (MNHHS) on research projects and publications.
We provide advice on:
- formulating research questions
- designing efficient studies and experiments
- sample size calculations
- statistical analysis and interpreting results
- current statistical methods used in all areas of research
- preparing grant applications and journal articles so that they have solid statistical reasoning.
The unit consists of a senior biostatistician, six independent biostatisticians and three support biostatisticians.
In 2015, the unit received direct financial support from QIMR Berghofer, MNHHS and the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital (RBWH) Foundation. We also received financial support from research grants where we carried out collaborative work on specific projects.
Output and contributions
During 2015, we made the following contributions to medical and public health research productivity:
- Authorship of 32 peer reviewed publications, including 23 in journals with an impact factor >2 (moderate impact) and four with an impact factor >5 (moderate/high impact journals).
- We were named investigator on 13 ongoing research grants, including six new grants, 11 of these were also NHMRC grants.
- We delivered a basic training program on introductory statistical themes called Making friends with statistics. This comprised of five seminars and accompanying workshops that averaged 44 attendees per session.
- Targeted statistical seminars for QIMR Berghofer and MNHHS groups.
- Our biostatisticians received academic and professional development on statistical themes, particularly complex modelling and higher degree training.
- We provided methodological expertise on collaborative projects through development and use of advanced statistical methods – particularly mixed effects generalised linear models and pharmacometric modelling for malaria medicines.
- We provided statistical expertise as members of ethics and external research committees and as reviewers for granting bodies and journal editors.
During 2015, 56 of 111 units (50 %) across QIMR Berghofer and RBWH consulted with the Statistics Unit, with 37 units (33 %) being substantial users.
In July 2015, we expanded the services of the Statistics Unit from RBWH to include all of MNHHS, providing statistical services to an additional three hospitals. Collaboration on major projects remains stable for both QIMR Berghofer and RBWH.
Since the Statistics Unit was established in 2006:
- members have been authors on 238 peer reviewed publications (162 with QIMR Berghofer and 76 with RBWH clinicians)
- our biostatisticians have been investigators on 32 grants with $23.14 million in funding
- the statistical consultancy service has been used by 90 units and departments (81 %) of QIMR Berghofer and RBWH.
MNHHS and QIMR Berghofer staff
T (07) 3845 3034
Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital
T (07) 3845 3728
The Prince Charles Hospital (TPCH) and Caboolture Hospital
T (07) 3845 3562
T (07) 3845 3953
T (07) 3845 3579
T (07) 3845 3555
T (07) 3845 3728
T (07) 3845 3743
Level 3, Clive Berghofer Cancer Research Centre, QIMR Berghofer.
Training resources from our statistics seminars and workshops are available to download below. If you do not have the password to access these files, contact email@example.com.