The Cancer and Chronic Disease Research Group covers three main broad research areas:
- Management of chronic liver disease (e.g. cirrhosis, non-alcoholic liver disease (NAFLD), chronic hepatitis C) and hepatocellular carcinoma (the most common type of liver cancer).
- Patterns of care of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with cancer, from diagnosis, use of health services, supportive care needs, cancer treatment and survival.
- Descriptive epidemiology of cancer and chronic liver disease (e.g. incidence, trends, geographic distribution of disease).
The laboratory also collaborate with other research groups on projects focusing on chronic respiratory disease (e.g. bronchiectasis, asthma), cervical, bone and lung cancers, and multiple sclerosis.
Team Head: Associate Professor Patricia Valery
- Dr Christina Bernardes, Research Officer
- Abbey-Rose Diaz, PhD student
- Audra de Witt, PhD student
- Kelly Hayward, Master of Philosophy student
- Marie Lashbrook, PhD student
- Dr Paul Clark, Early Career Fellow
- Karen Martin, Project staff
- Therese Lawton, Admin Officer
- Kandice Keoh, Masters Student
- Joo Hyun Kwon, Junior Staff
- Francisca Powell, Junior Staff
- Isanka Ratnasekera, Casual Staff
If you wish to apply for QIMR Berghofer's student program,
click here for more information.